Environmental Mission & Carbon Neutrality
PEA - Student Initiative & Recycling
|We don’t just teach environmental responsibility. At Proctor, we practice it. Students helped write an Environmental Mission Statement that sets the highest standards: sustainability and carbon neutrality. We heat with wood and geothermal. We sort, collect and recycle. We compost kitchen waste for an organic garden. Like so many things at Proctor, this is not imposed on students from above; our commitment is fundamental…grounded in shared values. So, fire up the sauna, and jump into a clear, spring-fed pond. At Proctor, every day is Earth Day!|
|"Proctor Academy's Environmental Mission is to teach and practice sustainability throughout our school community."|
Sustainability is defined as "meeting the present generation needs without compromising our ability to meet the needs of future generations."
We strive to attain this goal by:
- Attaining and sustaining a carbon-neutral footprint on campus.
- Providing systems and services that encourage behavior, innovations, and technology that reduce our resource consumption.
- Purchasing goods and services that are ecologically responsible.
- Increasing organic, local, and healthful food choices each year.
- Empowering current members of the community to be active stewards for an equitable and ecologically healthy earth.
- Exploring the social, ecological and economic problems that confront us all, as well as the means to address those challenges on our campus and in our personal lives each day.
Carbon neutrality is a challenging—yet realistic—goal due to Proctor’s wealth of forestlands. Forests are carbon sinks. The process of photosynthesis exchanges carbon dioxide for oxygen. Thus, the school’s 2700 acres offsets a specific volume of carbon dioxide. Students in Proctor Environmental Action and the Advanced Placement Environmental Science course will be calculating the complex metrics in the months ahead, but one thing is for certain: the community has committed itself to practices and behaviors that are ethically responsible and environmentally sustainable.