Summer Academic Work
Each summer, we ask students (returning and incoming) to engage in important summer academic work in preparation for the school year ahead. Each student is expected to complete a summer math review (see information below) as well as complete the summer literacy activities. Those students enrolled in AP Courses for the upcoming year should complete the required AP Readings listed below. If you have any questions about Summer Academic work, connect with the Academic Dean’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Literacy: Wellness and Mental Health Literacy
Please complete the following three steps as a part of Proctor’s Summer Literacy program:
1. Select a book from this list that you have not read before.
Title / Author:
Alone Together (NF) / Turkle
Saltwater Buddha (NF Memoir) / Yogis
WinterGirls (F) / Anderson
All the Bright Places (F) / Niven
- Add 8 - 12 journal entries to your journal (or a new journal)
- Choose from these journaling prompts or journal on your own.
- Each entry should take about ten minutes.
- The journal is your space. The journals will not be graded but may be reviewed for completion. Content can be written or visual/artistic.
- Journals can be handwritten or digital.
3. Wellness Bingo (Community-Driven Activities to do throughout Summer)
Find your Bingo Card HERE
- Write the dates in the boxes as you complete the wellness activities.
- Bring the card to the campus in the fall.
- Drop the card (with your name on it) into the raffle box at the library to enter to win raffle prizes.
- AP English Language: The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
- AP English Literature: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
- AP Environmental Science: The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan.
- AP European History: Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture by Ross King
- AP Government: Slavery by Another Name by Douglas Blackmon
- Honors Human Geography: Move by Parag Khanna
- AP French: Learn THESE most common French expressions and be ready for a quiz. Read Le Petit Prince - Antoine de Ste Exupery (French edition) and be ready for a quiz. ISBN-10 : 9780156013987 ISBN-13 : 978-0156013987. Listen to at least one podcast a week from Inner French and write a brief summary (3-4 sentences in French) about each podcast.
Off-Campus Program Reading
- Spain: Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past by Giles Tremlett
- Ocean Classroom: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick